Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Meet and Greet Our Great Canadian Photogs #1 - Julie C Butler ~ Ottawa Photography

Whether working in a creative field or having a passion for a creative hobby, I believe the way we all grow, develop our style and improve is through inspiration from others. We may see something in the world that will spark our creative juices, excite the passion to try something different or break down the walls of creative block. For me, I derive my inspiration from other photographers and LOVE to follow their work by reading their blogs. One day, I thought it would be fun to find out who these talented individuals were, and what they were like in their business and in life, as I feel a certain connection to them. Being inspired by a certain blog I follow, I decided to adopt their idea of “interviewing” inspirational photographers and sharing it with you and their clients on my blog; and hopefully inspire some of you out there to try something new and learn along the way! I only had one rule regarding these posts and that was that the photographer had to be Canadian!

I’m so very honoured to introduce to you my very first “Great Canadian Photographer”:

Julie C Butler

Photobucket

Julie is an amazingly talented photographer specializing in wedding photography, and also loves to photograph maternity, newborn, children of all ages and their families. She grew up in the small town of Small town of St-Pascal de Baylon, ON, but now lives in Ottawa. She discovered her passion for photography when her first son was born 4 years ago. Then it grew into photographing other people’s children, and eventually a friends weddings, which she never thought she’d get into. Now weddings are her favourite thing to photograph.

Her work can be found on her website http://www.juliecbutlerphotography.com/ and her blog http://www.juliecbutlerphotography.com/blog/

Can you describe your style?
I will have to say that my style is candid .. simple!! I LOVE capturing moments. I LOVE capturing people/children for who they really are.
At weddings I want to capture every couple’s story. Each and every story is different, and special in their own way!!

How long have you been in business? And how did you start?
I have been in business for about 2.5 years. I started when some of my friends kept insisting I should photograph other people’s children.

What's in your camera bag? What is your favourite item in that bag?
First of all .. My bag is a Shootsac (Love my Shootsac). I shoot with a 5D Mark II. My 2 favorite lenses are the Canon 24-70mm L, which I use indoors mostly, and the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 which I use for weddings, and most anything outdoors!!
These 2 lenses are the only 2 lenses in my bag and I seem to be content with those!! Yes, I have a few lenses on my wish list including a macro lens for those wedding details, and I would also love to try the 85 1.2 ;-)
I also have a Canon 580 EX II flash.

Can you describe your PERFECT (imaginary) wedding to shoot?
Hmmmm … WOW!! Good question!!
I think that if I could photograph any kind of wedding it would have to be an eighteenth century wedding. It would happen in the gardens of a castle far, far away, on a beautiful sunny day. The grand ball room would be filled with hundreds of people, having a wonderful joyous time. And at the end of the night the bride and groom would take off in a beautiful white carousel.
I guess you can tell from this that I love fairytales!!

What is your favourite product that you offer your clients? What do you sell the most of?
I think I’m going to have to say my albums … and canvases!!

Are there any books or workshops that you have attended that have inspired you and helped you along the way of starting a new business in photography?
Book: “Understanding Exposure” by Bryan Peterson

Workshops:
1- Wendy Shulz (beginner class) http://www.wendyschulzphotography.com/
Wendy is a great teacher and she is always looking for ways to go above and beyond what is expected of her as teacher!! I love Wendy’s classes. I am actually signed up for Wendy’s “continuing education” class due to start in January!!

2- Audrey Woulard http://www.alwphotography.com/
Audrey’s workshop schedule changes all the time. I’m not sure if she still hosts workshops, although she should!! Audrey is amazing!!

3- Learnfest ’09 http://www.thelearnfest.com/
I am not sure if there will be more of these workshops, but it was hands down the best money spent on a workshop of this kind!! I left Learnfest with a gold mine. My mind was spinning with all of the information covered in this workshop, it was AMAZING!!!

What has been your best marketing idea?
Well, probably, like most photographers out there, word of mouth has been the best deal for me!!

What was your worst marketing idea?
Magazine ad, unfortunately I didn’t really benefit from it.

Who in the world of photography inspires you?
There are so many, but if I had to pick one I would have to say Jasmine Star. She is so true, simple, and genuine!!

Do you Facebook? Twitter?
Facebook yes .. http://www.facebook.com/juliecbutler
Twitter?? No .. I just can’t get into it.. I’ve tried a few times!!

Favourite Drink? Strawberry Zinfandel.
Favourite Restaurant? Milestones.
Married? Kids? Pets? Married 7.5 years. Two boys 16 months and 4 years.
Favourite thing to do on a Friday night? Have a nice diner and movie with a friend (or hubby when he is not working)

And in closing I want to give a huge thanks to Julie for playing along with me on this and before I sign off, I asked her to share a few of her favourite images. Here they are:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

I am a Chelsea, Quebec based photographer serving Chelsea, Wakefield, Ottawa, Kanata, Orleans, and Gatineau for custom maternity, newborn, baby and child photography. I specialize in natural light photography, both in studio at my home and on location at your home.

All images and content are the property of Christine Denis Photography. Unauthorized reproduction and downloading is strictly prohibited by law.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP