Monday, February 15, 2010

Great Canadian Photographer #2 ~ Angela Hubbard

It's already mid-February and time for my second feature of a Great Canadian Photographer!! I'm was so excited about having the opportunity to meet (in cyber-space) the very talented and cool "Fotochick" - Angela Hubbard. And, what better month than February to feature Angela, because she is all about LOVE, and capturing LOVE in every image.

You can find Angela here:

http://www.hubbardphotography.com/Template.html

http://www.hubbardphotography.com/blog/


Here is our interview:

Can you give me a brief intro on who you are – where you grew up, where you live and what kind of photo business you run and how long you’ve been in the photography business.

Well…I like any type of chocolate, love the ocean, shoes, Lululemon apparel and my dog Whiskey.
I was born in Ottawa, Canada, grew up in Los Angeles, CA and currently live in Vancouver, Canada.
I first picked up my camera as a young girl and never put it down. In high school you could find me in the darkroom nightly afterschool til midnight or in the yearbook office putting together our yearly annual. I guess not much has changed in my life - except now I document a lot more white dresses by documenting weddings and creating wedding albums
I started photographing musicians in my teen years, and was very blessed to take my art to a new level when I started freelancing for various magazines such as Rolling Stone in 1998.

Can you describe your style?

PASSIONATE - lol - most use words like candid or photojournalistic.., but I LOVE and try to capture LOVE . I aim to capture the essence and feeling and the real love story of your day. laughter, tears and emotions the way it actually happened.

I see you have two studios, the main one in Vancouver, and one in Ottawa. How did that come about and how does it work?

I opened the studio in Ottawa in 2008 as I wanted to be closer to family but find myself back full time in Vancouver and have an associate photographer in Ottawa who documents all my assignments out there. I can’t be that far away from the ocean and it proved to me my life and loves are on the Westcoast.

What’s in your camera bag? Anything unexpected in there?

Well, you can find the usual suspects, Canon 5DMarkII which is my main camera as well as my backup my Canon 1DMarkII (I ALWAYS have a back up on me)
Lenses: you could find both a Canon 85m f/1.2L, as well as a 50m f/1.2L – these are the money lenses! LOVES em! Canon 24-70 f/2.8L – Another fabulous and versatile lens. but my baby is the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens (I love this lens not only for concerts and to document ceremonies in a church as well as candid special moments from a far) Canon100mm f/2.8 macro (great for ring shots and details) as well, I would never leave home without my flash, pocket wizards and an extra flash – I don’t usually like flash but have these on me for an extra pop of light in the dark reception areas.

What is your favourite thing to shoot? (doesn’t necessarily have to be business related, but if you had a day to yourself to do whatever you wanted, what would you shoot)

People. I LOVE people! Or my dog, Whiskey – sometimes I think he’s human.

Do you have a most memorable moment while shooting a wedding (be it a happy or not so happy moment)?

Every wedding, like every rock show I document is unique and different to me. That’s what I thrive on - the excitement.

When it comes to clients ordering images, what is your most requested pose they order?

I provide a high rez DVD to all my clients, so they can choose what they like to print. Every wedding is different so I don’t really know if I have a ‘most requested pose.

Of all that you offer your clients to purchase, what is your most popular item?

Again. My clients get the DVD and they can pick and choose what they like.

What has been your best marketing idea? And you’re worst?

Social networking, referrals, other photographers and word of mouth is how I get the majority of my clients.. worst, I don’t really know as I don’t really advertise much.

Can you tell us your proudest moment of you career?

I can tell you some of the most excited day in my career. I remember sitting in my kitchen, picked up the phone and it was the photo editor at Rolling Stone asking me to document No Doubt in Vancouver. I screamed and was beyond excited! I never took anything for granted after that and felt so blessed to be chosen to do this.

What was the best book/workshop/course you have taken, that really helped move you forward in your business?

I haven’t really attended workshops, but in 2010 I plan on having that change. There are so many wonderful photographers out there that I admire and I can’t wait to learn from them and getting to know them. My first one is the Becker workshop next week in Vancouver, BC.

Favourite Drink?

Water

Married? Kids? Pets?

In love, no kids (yet) my dog Whiskey!

And here are some of Angela's favourite photos she wanted to share with us:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Thanks so much Angela!

2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS photos! Wow!! Makes me want to have a wedding in BC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the interviews - it's nice to read about other photographers.

    H

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

I am a Chelsea, Quebec based photographer serving Chelsea, Wakefield, Ottawa, Kanata, Orleans, and Gatineau for custom maternity, newborn, baby and child photography. I specialize in natural light photography, both in studio at my home and on location at your home.

All images and content are the property of Christine Denis Photography. Unauthorized reproduction and downloading is strictly prohibited by law.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP